Monday, April 9, 2012

Summer 2012

I'm going to be honest: the concept of school letting out in May scares the heck out of me. Because by May 9, all my friends will be well on their way home, our rooms vacated, addresses exchanged for letter writing, a few good tears shed, and off to our own devices. As 95% of my close friends are working at a camp this summer, there won't be one time until August when we can all reconvene Only two of my really close girl friends live within an hour of me (though the majority of my guy friends live close).

But we won't have a universal meeting spot. We can't just say "Hey, meet me in the commons" or "See you in a few minutes". Because we'll be busy and separated and not living within a 10 minute walk or a 2 minute drive of each other. Our lives will stop revolving around textbooks and studying and the social atmosphere of the dorms. I won't be able to run across the hall anymore with a funny story to Joy or Myles. I won't be able to bounce into Sarah-Beth's arms. Rachel won't lay on the floor of my room, eating my food and making hilarious comments about her life. Missy won't wander in and blush when we make even mildly awkward comments. My world as I've known it for the last nine months is about to completely change.

Let it be known: I. Don't. Like. Change.

There's a chance I'll cry all the way back to Dallas.

But this summer is a chance to learn and to grow. I know that my friends mean the world to me--I'd be a total disaster if I didn't have them this year. But this summer will be one of patience, follow-through, and excitement. Seeing them will be a treat and not something to take for granted. Every time we talk will be treasured even more than it is now. Yes, there will be times where I miss them so much that it'll hurt, but that will just go to show how truly blessed I've been.

And what's a few months of absence compared to a lifetime of friendship?

No comments:

Post a Comment