Tuesday, November 19, 2013

I don't get Gossip Girl

Here's the deal, you guys. My roommates love that CW show Gossip Girl and never stop talking about how beautiful the love between Chuck Bass and Blair Waldorf is. The whole concept of the show--bratty, rich, Upper East Side-rs who text everyone's secrets to this one person who then spills all the secrets to everyone on the list server--is completely ridiculous. "Who am I? That's one secret I'll never tell. XOXO, Gossip Girl."

I love shows like 24 and Prison Break. Give me an epic "save the world" story any day. But my curiosity got the better of me this weekend and I ventured into the great unknown of Manhattan's most privileged fictional characters.

I finished the first season today. Yeah, that took all of 4 days. But even after cranking through 18 episodes like it was my job, I still just don't get it. Chuck Bass is a creep. Blair is the worst. Nate and Dan are the only ones with a moral bone in their bodies. And Serena has all kinds of skeletons in her closet. What's the allure? Why does anyone watch this show? Why am I?

My reasoning is twofold. The first reason I think I'm still watching it is to see when Chuck Bass stops being the worst and when his character finally develops into the swoon-worthy stud of a man Rachel, Myles, and Joy talk about all the time. Right now he's just kind of a creep. The second reason is that their lives are so privileged. Chuck Bass hands out $10,000 just for funsies. Blair can just fly to France whenever she wants to.

Normal people aren't like that.

Normal people don't have a couple hundred thousand dollars in a trust fund or get lunches that cost $120 on a weekday.

So maybe that's the pull. These people live absolutely crazy lives of money and parties and easy come, easy go. Their happiness is hard and short-lived, but it is so fun to watch. The roller coaster that they ride on every day is fascinating to Suburbia, USA.

Do I wish my biggest struggle of the day is having to live in a luxury hotel? Sure. I wouldn't hate that. But I do want unlimited money for my own usage at my fingertips? I don't know. Money is made by people and people have a tendency to be greedy and self-serving. Not all of us are controlled by that, but there's a piece in all of us that is.

The drama that constantly surrounds them is interesting to watch, but nothing in me wants that for myself.

So is that it? Their lives are so amazingly crazy, it reminds us of our sanity?

I don't have an answer. I wish I did, because after I've bashed the show for so long, my roommates are teasing me for caving now.

This is a weird post. I'll keep y'all updated if I find any deep revelations about the human condition in my continued watching.

No comments:

Post a Comment