Tuesday, October 4, 2011

The simple things in life

"Tomorrow I'm going to get the new Rick Riordan book and buy the Lion King on DVD!" I exclaimed yesterday to my friend Ben, to which he promptly announced that it sounded like the dream day of a six-year-old.

I'm so misunderstood.

But today (well, I guess technically it was yesterday, but we'll just say today [Tuesday]) was a really spectacular day. I got to sleep in a little bit, did some studying, did most of my homework, and headed to lunch and class. I rocked my history test (I think) and marched back to my room to finish the rest of my homework. After that, I watched my boys clinch the American League West championship for the second year in a row--go Rangers! I'm so proud of them.

Ben and I both needed to run errands, so we headed over to my car out in Narnia (not really, but it's pretty dang far away). I acquired the latest "Heroes of Olympus" book, Son of Neptune, and was very happy with myself. Call me quirky. Then we went to Target because I wanted to get the Lion King before the Disney Vault inhaled it again and Ben needed a calculator.

Then it was Breakaway time. A&M owns all with it's amazing Bible study on campus. It's such a blessing to be able to proclaim my faith proudly and boldly. Then I ate dinner with sweet friends, had a Skype with a friend, and then buried my nose into the book, hauling through 150 pages of it (out of 521). I expect to be done by Thursday evening. Unfortunately, school doesn't stop because a new book comes out and I still have tests that need to be studied for.

INTENSE NERDINESS STARTS HERE.

The only "bad" part of my day was when I started crying because the main character who I watched grow up in the earlier series doesn't remember anything about himself. It is devastating. This kid is one of my favorite book characters of all time and he doesn't even remember who he is.

Here's my critique: Rick Riordan should have had two series going at the same time. One that focused on the Greek camp and one that focused on the Roman camp, the books coming out about six months apart from each other. That way readers could know both the main characters, Percy and Jason, well and feel for them more. Because right now, all readers are going to lean more towards sympathizing for Percy because we know him so much better. Not to say we don't like Jason; we just know Percy because we saw him go from the "There-is-no-way-my-dad-is-a-Greek-god" to the leader of his camp. We just met Jason at the peak of his awesomeness and didn't see the journey that got him there. What's the saying? The journey is more fun than the result? I would say that's a fair statement about these books.

Anyway, that's my two cents. Take them or leave them.


Yes, this is what I do at 1 in the morning: analyze book series intended for 12-year-olds. Don't you dare judge me.

No comments:

Post a Comment