Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Delta Asher 2012

There are a number of things I should be doing right now (packing, cleaning, studying, sleeping, etc). But I'm not. Instead, I'm listening to my heathen mix made by 17 of the greatest people I know and writing how much I love these people.

Delta Asher. Two seemingly meaningless words to the average person. But I can't describe the flood of memories, emotions, and laughter that comes to mind when I see or hear those two words. But let's start at the beginning.

At Texas A&M, there's this incredible thing called Impact--a Christian fish camp that seeks to share the Gospel of Jesus Christ and plug the incoming A&M class into the body of Christ at A&M. Pretty sweet, right? I was a camper at Impact last year and am now a counselor--something that I never thought I'd say. All first semester of freshman year, I wanted to be a counselor, but after being rejected from summer camps over and over, my confidence in my counseling ability faded to nothing. After going to an informational for Impact, I really heard the voice of God tell me to apply. That was the first time in a long time that I'd been paying attention enough for him to scream through my barriers and tell me exactly what I was supposed to do.

And I did.

I'm crying right now (shocking) because I'm just so freaking happy that I listened. Mariah, Jevon, Ashley, Jackson, Dani, Preston, Emma, Eric, Paige, Nick, Ella, Benjamin, Helen, David (Dragon), Lindsey, Blake, and Brady became 17 of the most important people in my life. Every Monday night, we gathered together to worship, pray, laugh, cry (mostly me), and plan for August 8-11 where we will FINALLY meet the freshman the Lord wants us to get to know and love on and pursue. And I couldn't have asked for better co-chairs (Mariah and Jevon), better prayer leaders (Ashley and Jackson), a better partner (Brady), and a better team to work with. To say I've been blessed is a massive understatement.

Last night was our last meeting as a camp before we reconvene August 6th for pre-camp workdays. This semester has flown by and it's time for summer. Am I ready to leave them? Heck no. I never will be. I can't wait for August. But this summer will be for growth, preparation, and pure excitement. It will be good. I'll miss them all like a crazy person (if it's possible for me to get any crazier) but I know that this summer will make jumping into their arms in August that much sweeter.

Today is registration day for Impact. It's crazy to think that some of the girls in my small group (BG) are signing up today. WEIRD. But also extremely exciting. I am just so pumped for August I can barely stand it.

Delta Asher, I love y'all. I wish I knew how to say how much I loved y'all, but the words aren't coming right now. You've all impacted me in some way, encouraged me in every way, and made me thankful that I've got so many awesome people running after the Lord with me. To quote Jevon, "we won Impact."

"You, my brothers, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to satisfy your sinful nature; rather, serve one another in love." Galatians 5:13

Couldn't have said it better, Big Poppa.


No comments:

Post a Comment