Friday, May 11, 2012

The wind down

I am sitting at my desk at home, remembering how College Station disappeared in my rearview mirror. After nine months of living somewhere, being with the same 20 or so people, and creating near unbreakable bonds and unforgettable memories, my freshman year of college comes to a close.

After years of dreaming about it, one year of planning it, and several hours packing for it, somehow, it happened. I don't know where my 2011-2012 school year has gone, but suddenly, it is. How on earth did I get from hitting the "I will attend Texas A&M University" button to planning my move-out? My brain is blown.

Looking back, I see how big this year has been for me. I'm a completely different person from move-in day to right now. This year has been a lot of growing, a lot of maturing, and really understanding that my life is not my own. God is bigger, better, stronger, smarter than anything I can conjure up or plan out. My life is putty in his hands. And he has made that perfectly clear to me this year. I'm overwhelmed with how I've been blessed in such a short time period. The lessons I've learned are almost countless, ranging from big--like what I'm supposed to do with my life and self discovery--and small--like knowing what I should be involved in next year.

But here's a few things I've been taught, just so you know I'm not spit-balling here.

1. I struggled a lot with inadequacy this year and feeling like I was not enough for anything. When people needed great, I was just good. When they needed good, I was average. That kind of thing. But I realized that I don't need to be enough. 2 Corinthians 2:19 has become one of my favorite verses. It says, "But he said to me 'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.' So I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power might be made perfect in me." So...BOOM!

2. Yes, I describe my English classes as my "fun" classes. And am completely serious. Come at me.

3. Peace. Instead of needing to be more, I honestly just need to chill out. Whatever is stressing me out, I need to let go. It sounds like an obvious statement, but college has given me a new definition of "stress" that I didn't know in high school. With that, Philippians 4:7 talks to me directly with "And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus."

4. If you hate physics, DO NOT take astronomy.

5. God is good. This was told to me multiple times (hey Ethan) but I really, really started believing how absolutely true it was towards the middle of spring semester. "Oh give thanks to the LORD, for He is good; for His lovingkindness is everlasting." Psalm 107:1

6. The ocean is way more complex than the average person thinks. And has about a bajillion currents effected by random stuff. There's a little bit of science for ya.

7. Husband hunting shouldn't exist. Be patient. Make friends. Laugh. Focus on school and friendships. But, above all, run at full tilt towards the Lord. And only when you blaze by a guy who is running the same direction will you be ready to be chased. So you will be. "I adjure you, O daughters of Jerusalem, that you not stir up or awaken love until it pleases." (translation: don't try to fall in love when you aren't ready) Song of Solomon 2:7. And guys? Keep running. You'll find her by noticing the one who is running so fast after the Lord that she makes a wake of wind as she flies by you.

And there you have it. My freshman year lessons in the nutshell.

1 comment: