Sunday, November 11, 2012

Gig 'em Aggies.

Hello, college football world. I think A&M has sufficiently proved to everyone--announcers, fans, teams, and, if I'm being honest, myself--that they are now a football force to be reckoned with and that their conference move was not a negative decision.

This is not a post about how the SEC is a million times better than A&M's former conference, the Big 12. Why? Because the Big 12 had almost all of it's teams ranked at some point this year. How many other conferences can claim that? No, not even the SEC. My rivalry with those teams hasn't died, but a rivalry is different than, say, a grudge. Rivalries have a level of respect and I immensely respect every team in that conference. Do I like all of them? No, of course not. Will I talk smack about them? Sure. But I will never try to take away the fact that they are good teams and the Big 12 is not, by anyone's standards, a tragedy of a conference. I'd venture to say that it's in the top 5 in the nation.

That being said, I'm thrilled to be in the SEC. I miss the longstanding rivalries that I've grown accustomed to (Texas, Baylor, Tech, etc), but the time for change had come. I was unwilling to accept this at first and was afraid that my team was going to get smashed into Aggie pancakes. But we've held our own against traditionally top 10 powerhouses like LSU, Florida, and Alabama. It's been incredible to watch how one of my favorite teams has flourished and grown and pushed through obstacles. I have the Big 12 to thank for molding us into the team that we are (honest, zero sarcasm in that). And I have the SEC to thank for pushing us so we can prove that we are the Aggies (the Aggies are we!)

But now I'm just going to brag a little bit. I think we've earned it.

Kevin Sumlin is no spring chicken when it comes to A&M and upsets. 10 years ago to the weekend, Sumlin--then the offensive coordinator for the Ags--coached a redshirted freshman into upsetting the No. #1 OU. History has a habit of repeating itself. As the Aggies marched into Tuscaloosa today, the whole world felt like they were marching to a death beat. You don't go into that stadium and win, especially when that thing holds over 100,000 people and they are all supporting the top team in the nation--which isn't you. It just doesn't happen.

But it did.

When it comes to college football, as I have learned, it comes down to who wants it more, not who the better team is. And it was more important for the Aggies to prove who we are and where we belong than for the Crimson Tide to protect their title. I still have so much respect for every team in the Southeastern Conference and think that if A&M and Alabama played 10 times, Bama would probably come out on top more than A&M would. This, however, was the time that counted.

But was it pretty fun to watch all the stunned faces while the War Hymn echoed through Tuscaloosa? Oh yeah. And did I saw varsity's horns off in the street tonight with some of my friends after the clock ran down to zero? You bet.

New coach. New quarterback. New conference. New victories.

Same Old Army.

FARMERS FIGHT. FARMERS FIGHT. FARMERS. FARMERS. FARMERS FARMERS FIGHT A! A-A-A-A-AAAAAAAAAAA.

No comments:

Post a Comment