Friday, July 26, 2013

Siri is stupid and an excellent example of how sin is stupid

One of my closest friends/roommates lives in Fort Worth--a 45ish minute drive from my house. This week, our other two roomies were in town and I obviously couldn't be within an hour of them and not see them. It would be a crime, practically.

So I rolled out of church/work to go hang out and spend the night. While the drive was traffic filled (Dallas is the worst), my little, demanding friend Siri didn't get overly confused until we actually hit my roommate's neighborhood, where I took some janky, roundabout method to get to her house. Then, the following day, Siri was having some MAJOR issues getting me out of Fort Worth and back to my house.

Thankfully, I knew the highways I was supposed to take and can read road signs. But I still kept my maps open, just to see where she would try and direct me.

Like every Christian out there, I thought of a spiritual metaphor (oh, you don't do those?...weird) as pertaining to my situation.

Listening to Siri's misled instructions telling me to go I35 South or exit 19th street would've taken me anywhere but home. And I have often listened to and heeded what she's told me and it's caused me a lot of angst, road rage, and gas money. She'll make me go way out of the way in an attempt to get me from point a to point b. And it rarely turns out how I want it to.

No, this is not a bash on Apple's maps (though they really do need to work on those).

Siri is like the sin in our lives (how corny is that?). All too often, we know what direction we're supposed to be headed. But our misguided minds tell us that other routes work just as well, or will even be better. When we follow these paths, it always looks good for a little while. Then you get stuck or run out of gas and find that you're way far away from home and totally lost. Sin's instruction was destruction.

Siri has told me tons of directions that have taken me to the airport, en route to Houston, and to some warehouse in Dallas, when I knew that something was wrong but didn't know how to fix it.

That's when we need to know that the roads that the Lord has set out for us are good and true. He will not lead us to a place that will ruin us just to ruin us. The roadblocks and detours he takes us through are for the benefit of our lives and, in the long run, prevent us from even worse situations than what we faced on his path.

If I've learned anything, it's to not doubt what I know to be true, even if I'm being told otherwise.

Sin is loud. But we are told in the Psalms to be still and know.


No comments:

Post a Comment