Monday, June 8, 2015

Finding something to lean on

Great news, everyone: Keurig's are remarkably easy to use, and I have only spilled coffee out of my travel cup once in the last three weeks. I would say that's a pretty good track record.

And while mornings are still the worst, I'm quickly learning the value of getting up and getting the day started. That's not to say that I even remotely like mornings, but they aren't the blindingly miserable experiences I held them to be in my undergrad years.

Because I'm just so far past those four years. Right.

The wear and tear of waking up early, not living with my best friends, my boyfriend being across the ocean, and my body's recent requirement of going to bed at ten have sharply reminded me that my physical, emotional, and spiritual needs were wrapped up in my circumstances.

College Station, as wonderful as it is, was a nicely packaged deal for me where I was taken care of and people were always available and no one was more than 5 minutes away (three of the most important ones either shared a room or a house with me). But that is a rarity. Something that I absolutely took for granted, and will inevitably take for granted again when I move back in the fall.

My reliance on Rachel, Myles, Joy, and Hayden was never more keenly felt than when they were in Austin, Mexico, New York, and Greece. Myles is the only one I'll be able to see somewhat often this summer--and we're still a 30 minute drive from each other.

And I know that this time is a teaching one. I am prone to being swayed and moved, my steps unsteady and my balance off. I've never been confident in my ability to stand on my own two feet, but the beauty of the unsteadiness is that I don't have to stand alone.

Leaning more into the Lord is the only option. And while I could wish all day for me to be able to do this summer, this next year, this next lifetime only relying on my own abilities, I know that isn't plausible. So it's with a good dose of humility that I accept the hand reached out to me, and go from there.

No comments:

Post a Comment