Thursday, April 29, 2010

My fears have worn me out

You know what I hate? Being afraid. Unfortunately, I have little minor fears all the time. I'm talkin' all the time.
For example, today I took my last (hopefully) science TAKS. Emphasis on the hopefully. It was, for a TAKS test, surprisingly difficult. And I'm a tad bit worried about my results. That's what one classifies as a "minor fear". Little things that aren't that big of a deal.
But I'm scared of a lot of things that are bigger deals.
For example, the future. I've thought this out. So, what college you go to is determined by the grades you get in high school, right? So essentially, what college you attend could be decided by the grade you get on an English project. A little stressful? Or how about those fun ACT and SAT scores? Those DO determine what school you go to. Therefore, potentially determining what you do for a living. You can't tell me that that doesn't scare you a little. I'm afraid of the unknown.
Another type of fear: height. I inherited it from my dad. It isn't extreme, but it's enough to get me nervous before I get on a plane. The biggest leap o' faith was when I did this ropes course in Colorado. The first task? Climb up this wooden pole thing and walk up an incline...which was a log. Yeah, it was smoothed out but it still had me shaking and my heart pounding. The only reason I did the course was to go down the zipline at the end though. Hardly a reason to have my heart in my throat, right?
Wrong. We all need a goal, something to push through our fears to get to. Mine just happened to be a zipline. But this summer? I'll admit it, I'm kind of scared to go to Kenya. It's just the fact that it's going to be a whole new experience and I won't feel at all comfortable that scares me. But my goal is spreading the word of Jesus Christ. Of living out The Great Commission. Quite a bit better than a zipline, I would say.
In the words of Switchfoot: my fears have worn me out. God will stop that. End. Of. Story.

No comments:

Post a Comment