Thursday, July 1, 2010

Color me WAY EXCITED

I have ranted about my love for several book series on this blog o' mine. This post will be much the same.

Everyone (or most people) have heard about Percy Jackson and the Olympians series. I've talked about the books before. When the series ended with The Last Olympian, I was so far from ready to put those books down. I didn't want to leave the hilarious and action-packed world that was Percy, Annabeth, Grover, and their fellow demigod friends. I loved those characters like they were some of my real friends (which is horribly sad in a nerdy sort of way).

But I guess Rick Riordan (mastermind author) felt the same way. Because he's writing a spin-off series.

Can I just take a moment and FREAK OUT?! Please and thank you!

This new brilliant series will be told in 3rd person (instead of Percy's 1st person in the first series) and focus on a brand-new cast of characters. But fans would have Riordan's head if he didn't bring in the characters from the Percy Jackson series. So in his blog post about the new series, to be titled The Heros of Olympus, he said that all main players from the first series would also be main players in the second series, but it wouldn't focus on them as much. Which I am perfectly okay with! I'm a character person and as long as my favorites are in this new series, I am a-okay.

Anyway. The first book is called The Lost Hero and I already have a vague idea of who this said lost hero might be. But then again, I could be very, very wrong. Riordan likes to make us think it's one person when it totally isn't. After reading the released first two chapters of TLH, I'm a fine mixture of emotions. Panic, excitement, intense curiosity, fear, worry, wonderment, anxiety, eagerness. The list goes on. October 12th, the set date for release, cannot come soon enough.

I'm going to give you a minor spoiler on the first 2 chapters. Nothing huge, but just my personal analysis after reading the first couple of chapters. The main character, Jason (who, like Percy, has a very...historical name in Greek mythology), focused on is a son of...Zeus. GASP! If you've read the first series, you would know that this means that Zeus has broken the pact of not having demigod children not once but now twice. Way to go, buddy. Jason gets hit with a lightning bolt said to kill 20 men and survives and jumps off the Grand Canyon to save someone and is pushed up by air. You can't tell me that this is not clearly a son of the god of the sky. Jeepers. His friend, Leo, is very obviously a son of Hephastus, god of the forges. He's constantly putting things together and taking them apart, much like his father. And the afore mentioned person that Jason had to save...well, she's a girl. Named Piper. She and Jason have been dating. She's also a demigod. Her mom...well, I don't really know. I'm suspecting Athena but Piper doesn't have grey eyes. My fallback would be Artemis but she is a known maiden goddess...so I'm honestly at a loss. Hmm. I'll reread the chapters and keep you posted. The last weird thing that bothered me (I'm not going to tell you the epic cliff-hanger at the end of chapter 2) was that Jason remembered absolutely nothing. He didn't know that Piper was his girlfriend, he didn't know where he was, he didn't know who he was. It was weird and not anything like any of the first series. I'm just as curious to figure out who he is as Jason himself.

Call me empathetic.

So yes. October 12th needs to get here ASAP!! So I can know what happened to...

In other news, still no word from the writing contest. BYE! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment