Monday, September 20, 2010

Senioritis is NOT my friend

It's contagious. It can be fatal. It's the one bug that ALL seniors in high school eventually catch: senioritis. The disease that tells you "Oh, you don't have to study for that quiz" or "Just do it during fifth period, you have better things to be doing...like Facebook". Senioritis LIES! Liar, liar, pants on fire.


Though I haven't been completely bedridden by this plague, I can feel it working through my brain, trying to convince me of things I know are wrong (see above examples). Now, there's a difference between the normal senioritis and extreme senioritis. Normal just tells you that studying is irrelevant and that your social life and relaxation time far and away exceed your school work. Extreme, however, informs you that senior year is the time to live it up, illegal activities included. Drinking, weed, things that seem pretty harmless if you don't do them too much. But it only takes one night for your world to come crashing down.


I can assure you that I will not fall into the extreme senioritis. No desire to drink has ever crossed my mind, much less drugs. Ick. Thanks, but not thanks, modern society. I'm afraid I will not be joining you and your cult to corrupt my chances of getting into college. As tempting as that sounds...oh wait...


But I am struggling with the whole "Oh-I-can-just-review-in-the-morning" thing because I think I might but, in the back of my mind, I know I won't. To keep myself going, I just have to chant "finals exemptions" over and over in my head. With no underclassman status or TAKS holding me back this year, I'm hoping for no finals this year at all. And if I don't have to take finals, that means that I made good grades. And if I made good grades, it means that I beat senioritis. Points to me.


Of course, the first time I'll be eligible for exemptions is in January. It is currently September. I have a long way to go. But, like Philippeans 4:13 says, "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."


Yes, that includes finishing college applications, being accepted into college, finishing high school, graduating, getting a job, having a lively social life, and so forth and so on. Um, can I get an amen on that one?

No comments:

Post a Comment