Sunday, July 24, 2011

I know what love is

So you know how in those soap operas or Disney Channel shows the main girl character "falls in love" with the boy of her dreams and wants to give up everything for this boy and the mom snaps at her and is all, "You don't even know what love is!"

In fact, some real people (as in, not actors) have that same mindset. Teenagers don't know what love is, they say. They think that the younger generation doesn't have enough life experience to know what true love is and, therefore, cannot use it as an excuse/explanation in life.

I disagree, but not for the reasons that you might think.

You see, I believe in this all consuming, unbiased, uninhibited, unconditional love. Such a thing only comes from Jesus Christ. This love is perfect because He is perfect and everything He does/is is perfect. And, due to the fact that I profess myself to be a believer and follower of Christ, I get this love. It conquers all in every circumstance. This love cannot be destroyed or overpowered. This love is absolutely flawless because it sees no flaws. Love, as John Mayer says, "turns the whole thing around."

Because I have a part of this love, I know what love is. Jesus Christ died for me because of His intense love for me. Nothing I do can make Him stop loving me. He willingly put aside Himself and His desires and fears to die for someone that He passionately loved. He felt that He could not live without me and, therefore, threw down His life for me.

I do not, in any way, shape, or form deserve this sacrifice. However, love does not base things off of debts or levels of entitlement or seniority. Love simply loves and ignores all else.

No, I have never been in love. I want to be (I seriously can't wait to fall in love), but I'm not yet. But I know what love is. And I'll know that I'm in love because I have such a powerful example through Christ.

So I don't need mistletoe or Cupid or a love calculator. I just need my heart in the right place and to keep running after the one who loves me most of all. Only then will I find someone who will run with me.

"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails." 1 Corinthians 13: 4-8

No comments:

Post a Comment