Saturday, July 30, 2011

My second home

So I've gone to the same church since I was 4 years old. I went through all the programs I could growing up (preschool, Awanas, kids choir, youth group) and have graduated from the church. Of course, there's been the weird summer period where I don't really belong anywhere, and it's been fantastic, but that's irrelevant. What matters is that tomorrow will be my "last Sunday".

Next Sunday, I'll be at Fish Camp. The next Sunday, I'll be at Impact (Christian Fish Camp). The next Sunday will be move-in day, where my parents will drive home and I will stay in College Station until October or whenever I feel like I want to come home for a weekend.

It's just so weird to think that I place that I've been going to weekly for the past 15 years will suddenly no longer be a part of my life. I'll have to find a new place in College Station that I feel as at home at as I did at VRBC. And it's going to be hard to keep my mind open in this new church because I'll be looking for what I grew up with and it's not going to be there. Not the same thing, anyway. I know I'm going to cry tomorrow.

After 15 years somewhere, you kind of grow attached to it. I'm accepted and not questioned when I walk into the church offices. It's not weird to see me up in the youth area helping out with stuff. I feel like I belong at VRBC because that's all I've ever known. And I'm scared of not finding somewhere that I love just as much when I go to school. God will push me in the direction I need to go, I know. But I'm still just wishing that VRBC could move with me. The staff, the members...everything. It's my second home.

I know I'm ready. It's just a matter of accepting my readiness, if that makes any sense at all.

So, VRBC, thanks for seeing me through. Thanks for teaching me the difference between an apple and an orange. Thanks for teaching me John 3:16 and Psalm 86:12. Thanks for giving me opportunities to grow in Christ and as a leader. Thanks for seeing me through everything. Thanks for having a solid foundation physically and spiritually. Thanks for giving me people to lean on. Thanks for showing me how to step out of my box. Thanks for feeding me. Thanks for the memories. Thanks for the leaders. Just...thanks. You've left your mark and have a chunk of my heart. And it'll travel down I35 with me as I head to A&M. Love you.

Bye.

No comments:

Post a Comment