Saturday, January 14, 2012

Awesome athletes

What do Tim Tebow, Josh Hamilton, and Andy Dalton have in common? They all get paid big money to either hit or throw a ball, have been either grossly underrated or counted out of the runnings at some point, and they all are exceptionally Godly men who exhibit that trait excellently.

If you haven't heard at least one of the first two listed guys, I'd think that you'd been living under a rock in Siberia. But, just for the sake of the icy rock dwellers and assuming that such people have internet access and read my blog (which I'm going to dub unlikely), here's the deal:

Tim Tebow is under the American microscope for his faith and how he exhibits it shamelessly on and off the football field. He was put into play earlier in the season because the Bronco fans wanted to see what he could do (their QB who started the season didn't work out so well) and his coach put him in to shut the fans up, not really anticipating this running back of a quarterback to be successful. He was wrong. Tim Tebow shined...in more ways than one. It seems I couldn't turn on the TV or get online without seeing something about Tebow's faith cropping up--and it thrilled me. It's so apparent that God is working through this guy and every time I'd see some story on him, I would smile. Tim Tebow, you rock.

Josh Hamilton is one of the faces of the Texas Rangers. Dangerous with a bat and can throw a ball from centerfield to second base faster than you can blink. He was the number 1 draft pick in 1999 but had a major falling out into drugs that knocked him out of pro ball for a few years. By the grace of God (and his tough-love grandmother), he got back on his feet, his wife forgave him (a whole other story that is also noteworthy but for another time), and he is back on the diamond. I know this because I read his book, not because I'm a creepy stalker who just researches vast amounts of personal information about my favorite sports figures. Anyways. His heart was completely changed. It's a miracle that he's still alive, much less the winner of the American League MVP of 2010. And he lives every day for the Lord and isn't shy about it. I love the Rangers for more reasons than I can count (heck, I have a Rangers cover for my phone), and, yes, Josh's outward profession of faith is a big one.

Andy Dalton. Rose Bowl of 2010 champ. Current stud of the Cincinnati Bengals. I'm wishing that I could vote in the Rookie of the Year poll because Dalton deserves it way more than Cam Newton, last year's scandalous Heisman winner. Who tied Peyton Manning's touchdown pass record? And who took their team to the playoffs? Andy did. Not Cam. Things to think about... But beyond his superb skills in the pocket, Andy started a Bible study in TCU's campus and is a solid Christian guy with a humble heart. He and Tebow are kind of the underdogs of the year and America loves a good underdog, especially a stand-up, solid one like Andy or Tim. Andy Dalton, you're amazing.

Ask me what celebrities I'd want to meet and I wouldn't say Ryan Reynolds, Rachel McAdams, or Justin Bieber, or any other Hollywooder for that matter. Give me those Christian athletes ANY day.

"For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love, and of self-discipline." 2 Timothy 1:7

No comments:

Post a Comment