Sunday, February 12, 2012

Because He said so

My least favorite thing my parents ever told me was "Because I said so". I would ask for something or they would tell me to do something and I would demand why and they would just give me this look and sassily say, "Because I said so, Linley." I normally would then stomp away or roll my eyes and be irritated, not thinking they had any good reason to deny me what I wanted and that they were just doing it to be spiteful.

I realize now that I was wrong. As they have 25+ years on me, what they thought was normally more logical/less detrimental than what I wanted and they had every right in the world to tell me no and that it goes because they decreed it. There is only one other being that loves me more than my parents and they always act in my best interests. "Because I said so" should always be enough.

It's weird how hard of a time I have connecting my parents methods to God's methods, despite how similar they are. He calls himself my heavenly Father, so why is it when he says "Because I said so", I ignore him? I try to do my own thing and then get mad when it doesn't work. With my parents, I always ended up doing whatever it was they wanted me to do because there was such an imminent threat of punishment.

The thing is, God has a plan that is invisible and perfectly crafted for me. And trusting him to know that "Because I said so" is enough and satisfying is both scary and freeing. When I pray, I need to keep in mind that I'll get one of three answers: yes, no, and not yet. When I ask for a reason why, I need to learn to be satisfied with "Because I said so". But maybe I'm missing a piece of the phrase.

Maybe the whole line is "Because I said so, and you'll see why."

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD. "Plans to prosper you and not to harm you. Plans to give you hope and a future."

No comments:

Post a Comment