Friday, June 18, 2010

The midnight train to Georgia.

Actually, more like "the 6am bus to Georgia". Sorry Gladys Knight, but 86:12 is not abiding by the transportation and time of your song. We're 6 hours later and using a less-classy form of transportation.

86:12 mission trips I've been on including this year's: 6. This year's promises to be different than all others I've been on and I've got a load of responsibilities. Exciting and scary at the same time. Allow me to do a short recap of the trips I've been on.
Summer after...
6th grade: El Paso. Hot and dry. VBS was kind of a fail. We went to White Sands National Park and I almost passed out when we sang at this park. Thank you, dehydration! Theme of the year was "Portraits of Worship". My family group worked with the Gosser family group.
7th grade: Pueblo, CO. Not nearly as hot as El Paso but still pretty toasty. VBS (my group had a nice turnout) was fun and organized. We went to work at this old lady's house during the afternoons. The place was a disaster but it looked pretty good by the time we finished it. My FG was with Eberhardt!
8th grade: Memphis. That year was really fun. Ministering to intercity kids was hard but rewarding. They were pretty cute...except for the large boy who had a crush on me. Awkward. Anyway, we did several concerts and VBS in the morning. There wasn't a lot of manual labor that year if I recall correctly. Oh, and this is for anyone who was on that trip: You can't ride my little red wagon! Hahaha, oh gosh.
9th grade: New Orleans. Even 3 years after Katrina, there were still scars on the city. It was a great place for all different kinds of ministry. My group sorted mardi gras beads with people who were mentally challenged, which proved to be awesome and hilarious and totally not what I was expecting. So fun.
10th grade: McAllen, TX. Hello manual labor? Talk about building a house! Okay, so basically 86:12 built houses. Paint, insulation, flooring, electrical. You name it, we did it. And what we didn't finish was done by another group. It was awesome. VBS in the afternoons was overwhelming and crazy all the time. I loved it. That trip was seriously awesome.

This year, I'm in charge of a VBS site. Well, there will be 2 leaders there with me but I'm basically calling the shots. SCARY. It's some pressure and some stress but I'm ready to take the job. On top of being a VBS leader, I'm also in a really intense drama with 7 other people. (Youtube "Everything" by Lifehouse and click on the first link.) It's powerful and I'm blessed to be in it. Atlanta will be hot (like Mexico...Alejandro. Haha, I'm cool.) but I'm pumped. Good bye Texas, hello Atlanta!

No comments:

Post a Comment