Sunday, November 14, 2010

19 years old. WHAT?

So, yesterday was my 19th birthday. I am a senior in high school. So weird (I went to pre-first which is NOT the same as being held back, thank you very much). Anyway, here are my thoughts on this being the last year that I can use the excuse "Well, I'm a teenager, so...".

I'm a year away from turning 20. That just sounds so...old. When you turn 20, people stop thinking of you as still a kid and are now really holding you accountable for your actions. You'll possibly be married in the next five years. You'll be well on your way to becoming a legit adult--one who lives on their own and has a job and is working towards a career. You're a grown-up.

Being nineteen is so awkward. As my friend Lauren asked, "Do any perks come with being nineteen?" Translation: What's different about being nineteen as opposed to eighteen? My answer: absolutely nothing. Therefore making nineteen so awkward because you're the exact same as you were when you were eighteen, just a year older. Just a year closer to being twenty. Just a year closer to being a "real" adult.

I need to get on that auto-biography I was going to write. Basically, it's just a compilation of my adventures as a teenager and some of the shenanigans I got into. And it would be nice to have it done before me, gasp, twentieth birthday. Because I will no longer be a teenager when I am twenty. Obviously. That bio is just something fun to write. A journal, if you will, of some highlights of my life from those six years I was a teenager. I only have one more year to finish that.

I'm still weirded out by the fact that I'm nineteen and older than nearly all of my friends. And being this old makes it hard to find a mature dude in high school.

Can we just take a moment and laugh at that last sentence? No such thing as a mature high school guy. What a funny thought. Just kidding...kind of.

But yes. Those are my thoughts on being one of the oldest kids in my high school. Ahh, weird.

1 comment:

  1. awwww
    ps- i tried to make you a birthday card in first grade sunday school today (i teach it, dont get any funny ideas), but it failed epically.

    ReplyDelete