Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Well. That certainly made my day.

My friend Meredith and I do a 7th grade girl's Bible study with six seventh grade girls (that's redundant...) from our church. We've been going since late September and will continue to go through the end of the school year. And we've all gotten really close. Those six know they can come to Meredith and me with anything and we won't judge and will try our best to help. We genuinely love those girls, as crazy as they can be sometimes.

So, for Thanksgiving break, we wanted to do something a little different than just normal Tuesday night Bible study. We decided on going to this restaurant in town, the Local Diner (the name is fairly self-explanatory), for brunch. Because it was 11:45 in the morning, some girls had pancakes but others (like me) had hamburgers. Some even crossed the two and had a pancake with a milkshake. Intriguing combination.

Anyway, as we were waiting for our food, Meredith and I launched into the Bible study. We do "popcorn reading", where basically we just go around in a circle and read the lesson. It isn't long, generally anywhere between six paragraphs and ten paragraphs. Then we discussed questions and read passages from the Bible (that day's was Psalm 139). Then, before we could finish our questions, our food came. So we just continued discussing until we finished and then launched into our girl conversation about boys and clothes and drama and whatnot.

Shortly after ending the day's lesson, though, a woman sitting in the booth across from our table got up and said, "Hey girls, do you mind if I tell you something?" So all the seventh graders looked at Meredith and me and Meredith responded, "Yeah, sure!" I mean, we obviously weren't going to say, "Uh, no, go away" but, I'll admit it, I was a tad nervous when she asked. I don't know why--I just was.

Anyway. The woman told us this:
"I just want to say that I've been having a really rough day and seeing you here worshipping God is such a blessing and just turned my day around." I didn't know whether to say "thank you" or "you're welcome" so I just stammered both out. Then the woman asked what church we went to and we told her and her response was, "Well, I've been looking for a church for me and my three-year-old daughter and if your church makes such strong women of faith, I want my daughter to grow up in that church."

MIND BLOWING.

That just kind of put everything in perspective for me. This might sound creepy, but it confirms that Christians are constantly being watched. And people notice what we do. It was a cool lesson for a high school senior and middle school girls alike to see. So, thanks God!

No comments:

Post a Comment