Saturday, November 6, 2010

And now we wait.

All my college applications were in by the almost-universal November 1st deadline. A&M's deadline is December 1st, so I that's why I said "almost-universal". Anyway, now I am now just in that angsty waiting process to find out if colleges think I'm impressive enough to get into their prestigious institution of higher education.

And, as we all know, waiting and I have a troubled past.

I applied to Oklahoma State (Stillwater, OK), Baylor University (Waco), TCU (Fort Worth), and Texas A&M (College Station). OSU has already accepted me--that happened back in September. Old news. I should hear back from Baylor and TCU sometime in either late November (this month...weird...so soon...) or mid-December. Basically, they said, before Christmas. Which I find so strange and slightly terrifying that by Christmas, I'll know if 75% of the colleges I applied to want me or not. And then there's A&M. The latest I hear back from them will be mid-March.

You think I can wait that long? Heck to the no, fool.

Here are my thoughts now, as a senior, on my four schools (in no particular order other than by school):

1. Oklahoma State: Let's be honest--they accept everyone. Part of my reasoning for not applying to say, Alabama (where my mom wanted me to apply to) or Arkansas, was because a cat could get into those schools with no real problem. I wanted to have some level of difficulty. But I visited OSU and know people who have gone there and liked it and I wouldn't have to change my ways of saying "Go cowboys!" because they're the Oklahoma State Cowboys. It's a beautiful school and a cute little college town. But, come now, what's in Stillwater? A Wal-Mart, some restaurants, a couple boutiques, and a dance hall. That's pretty much it. I know that you make your own fun on campus and stuff but Stillwater isn't near another major city for a couple hours and is just too tiny of a town to do anything in. Don't get me wrong--OSU is my second choice for college. But let's just say that bright orange isn't really my color...

2. Baylor. Heyyyyyyyyyyyyy sic 'em, Bears! So, in the past, my reasons for not going to Baylor included their less-than-good football program. But now that they're actually fairly good, that's not a very valid argument. So now I just go the route that it's too expensive. $40k a year? Golly. That's a lot of money to be more educated. And it's kind of a Dr. Pepper-filled bubble. But, on the flipside, it's an awesome school. People are warm and friendly. I know tons of people there. There are Dr. Pepper floats every Tuesday (or is it Thursday?). The campus is gorgeous. I have a friend majoring in English--which is what I want to do. And I look good in green. Baylor is your straight up Baptist college of the South. And there's really nothing wrong with that at all. But it's preppy. And, for me, it would just be my hometown. I think I know too many people. And it's a lot more Greek than people let on. And it's, like, 60% girls. My MRS degree is in danger at Baylor. It's sometimes 3rd on my list and sometimes 4th. I don't really know why it switches. I love Baylor and think it's great. But is it really "my school"?

3. TCU. Hellooooooooo preppy! Purple and white, fight, fight, fight! I've grown up at TCU tailgates, Frog Ally, and in purple. When you live in the same metroplex as the place where your dad went to college, you're going to be under it's influence. There's no escaping it. But is that really a bad thing? Not necessarily. You just know it better than others do. It's a fantastic school (though verging a bit on the liberal side) and I feel like I would excel there. However, like Baylor, it has a girl-to-guy ratio of about 11:1. MRS degree is out the window. It's largely Greek. I'm so not a sorority girl. The girls dress up and look fashionable for games. Thanks, but no thanks. I'm good with Nike shorts and a spirited t-shirt. Though I haven't taken a formal tour of campus, I've never seen myself at TCU. It's just too...much. It's changed a lot since my dad went there, obviously. The last time he was a student, it was 1981. I'll graduate 30 years after he did. Though it would be cool to walk into the bookstore and see my dad in his Super Frog costume in a huge picture on the wall and be able to claim that my dad was the original Super Frog around campus, it isn't something I strive to do. TCU is great. But, again, I'm not sure it's the school for me.

4. Texas A&M. So maybe I've been extremely biased about the 3 other above listed schools, but A&M feels like home. I can't lie--the 2 times I've visited, I've wanted nothing more than to sign up for housing and go to class the next day. I want to be an Aggie. It has my major(s) that I want to partake in. It has the history and traditions that I want. It's in the Big 12. What more can you need? Yeah, tons of people from home go there. So I can have my comfort zone. But it's also huge, meaning that the chances of my accidentally running into them are next to nothing. College Station is alive with action. Freebird's, Spoons, and Sweet Eugene's are just a few of the restaurants. Campus is constantly busy. And, plus, I love maroon. A&M is choice numero uno. And I feel about 99.9% sure that I'll end up there one day. So, gig 'em.

Like I said, I'm keeping all options open and trying to have an open mind. But it's hard when you're kind of set on something. A&M felt like home. I know I can't really go wrong wherever I end up, but I have my preferences. Right now, I just want to know. And it's frustrating not knowing if I'm even accepted into my top choice. A girl can only hope and pray.

So, gig 'em, sic 'em, go pokes, and go frogs. College, here I come.

No comments:

Post a Comment