Friday, June 3, 2011

BEM Day 30: Summer planning

I fly by the seat of my pants. Generally.

When it comes to babysitting, I plan when I get there. We assess the day and see what we want to do and then we go from there. The parents leave us x amount of money to work with and we just go from there. But this family who I'm babysitting for this summer wanted me to plan out the whole summer and I'm feeling a tad overwhelmed. I'm trying to work out stuff and have one or two "big" things a week but then I'm also trying to do cheap things, like tie-dying shirts and having writing contests that I will be the judge of. But, honestly, that is the hardest part of my job.

It's a sweet deal. The kids are an incoming 9th grade girl and an incoming 7th grade boy. They basically just need someone to take them places and keep them from being bored. But, by the end of the summer, I'm going to end up making a large sum of money. I won't give the final count that I just calculated, but it is quite large. This family is also going to pay for my expenses (food money, movie tickets, admission, etc) and my gas. Nothing will come out of my pocket. It'll be great but this whole planning deal? I'm not a huge fan. But I'll figure it out. It's tentative and we probably won't stick with it perfectly (Texas weather can be quite temperamental). Then again, it is good to have some direction and a general calendar, though vague it may be.

I am a planner and I like to have my time organized so that I know what's coming next and how I should prep for it. But planning out two months of summer activities when you don't really know the kids you're babysitting? It's a difficult task, to say the least.

So that's that.


I am...

Listening to: "Miss Me" by Andy Grammer
Looking forward to: GRADUATING TOMORROW!
Procrastinating: Getting in the shower. Yep, we're back to that
Thinking about: How I only did a point better on my math assessment. Hello, basic college algebra
Wondering: If my advisor is going to laugh at me when I sign up for classes when he/she sees my terrible math assessment score
Reflecting over: My excitement for the great beyond (some people call it "the future")

No comments:

Post a Comment