Sunday, September 11, 2011

9/11

It happened when I was in 3rd grade.

It happened when my teacher rushed to turn off the little TV in our classroom.

It happened when kids in my class were being picked up early by their parents.

It happened when there weren't any planes in the sky anymore.

It happened when two buildings unwillingly fell.

It happened when the government was attacked.

It happened when Bush declared war.

It happened when bravery stood up to cowardice in a field in Pennsylvania.

It happened when my dad was in New York.

It happened when my dad's meeting was in the South Tower at 10am.

It happened when my dad missed a meeting.

It happened when I could've lost my dad if his meeting had been an hour earlier.

It happened when the New York skyline was broken.

It happened when citizens helped citizens.

It happened when firefighters came to the rescue.

It happened when my mom carefully explained what happened.

It happened when I was horrified that anyone would do that.

It happened when people waited in line for hours to give blood on 9/12/01.

It happened when New York street vendors freely gave food and drinks to the donors.

It happened when our nation banded together again.

It happened when my dad finally got home after driving from a locked-down city.

It happened when I started bawling a few weeks later when he had to get on another plane.

It happened a year later when my dad was dead silent on the anniversary.

It happened every year when the nation stepped back and thought about what happened.

It happened on May 1, 2011 when Navy SEALs tracked down the orchestrator.

It happened when Osama bin Laden was killed.

It happened when I went back to the site and saw how life was going on.

It happened when I saw blueprints for new buildings and lots of memorials.

It happened every time a worker put a piece into the building puzzle.

It happened when America stops and remembers.


Don't ever forget that day. Remember where you were, who you were with, and what you saw that day. Remember the stories you heard and what the TV told you. Remember how you felt.

Remember 9/11/01.

No comments:

Post a Comment