Thursday, September 22, 2011

Tests...and other thoughts

So, today is Thursday. It's the first day of autumn (the autumnal equinox...thank you, astronomy) and, in College Station, it's going to be a pleasant, fall-y 94 degrees outside. The pleasures of humidity and Texas.

I have my astronomy test today and, from a knowledge standpoint, I got this. I get all of it. I could tell you really strange, irrelevant facts about the solar system and it would be great fun. But the math part of it? Yeah, no. I have no idea what I'm doing on that standpoint. Some things are pretty straightforward and I'll have my formula sheet, but I honestly don't know what some of the variables stand for. So that's going to be a hurtle I'm going to have to jump over. But I'll probably end up stumbling over it, falling on my face, and losing. I really, really hate math. Memorize or reason through something? I'm your girl. Tell you how to find the mass of a star a bajillion lightyears away? No thank you.

But my day doesn't end with my astronomy test. Nope. Afterward, I have to go straight to my history class, across campus and really annoyingly close to my dorm/my bed, and sit and be bored out of my mind for 75 minutes. Great professor, but I already know American history. Thanks, and gig 'em. After history, I go back to the astronomy building out in kingdom come, just short of five and a half zillion miles from my dorm/civilization for a two hour lab that won't set me free until 6:00pm. And when I get that lab notebook checked off, I will get on my little maroon Shwinn and haul across campus like there's no tomorrow. At 7, I'm meeting friends for dinner at the best dining hall on campus and when I get home from that, I get my reward.

Castle, Survivor, possibly Pan Am and CSI, Facebook, Twitter, and Skype. I have grounded myself from all of my favorite things (except for the Rangers, I watched them win last night after I'd done some major studying) so I could get work done (and I was largely successful). No social networking was a killer when it was so available, but it was by sheer will power alone that I did it and was able to study. WIN!

Later, I'll post some revelations I had while studying/stressing/walking across campus/at Breakaway/at ASC. But right now, astronomy beckons my name once again.

No comments:

Post a Comment