Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Ben Rector, love songs, and peace

One of my favorite artists in the world just released a new album. And it is excellent. The concert of his I'm going to in October cannot come soon enough. I'm so excited. I went to one back in April and got to meet him and there is now a picture of me and two of my best friends with him on my nightstand. So, points to Ben Rector for making me swoon an impossible amount. You rock my world. And my iTunes.

His music is my dose of love songs. I'm not usually a romantic kind of girl (don't give me Nicholas Sparks or I'll probably throw it back at you) and don't get real excited for things like romance movies or romance novels. Fact of life. But music...that's an entirely different thing. Music is my thing. I build stories off of songs (my post "Run" was based off "Forever Reign" by Shane and Shane) and make playlists for my stories. That's who I am as a writer and as a girl. Reading about someone falling in love? Forget it. But hearing it sung? Sure. Because it's easier to put yourself on the receiving end of that love in a song than feeling creepy and making yourself a character in the book (which I've done, mind you). I would so much rather pretend a guy is singing Ben Rector's new song "She Is" than pretending I'm Juliet or Hermione (though being Hermione would be pretty freaking awesome). All that to say, I only let myself fantasize about being in love through music. Not so much in books or movies. It's all music. And Ben Rector has a habit of speaking to my soul.

As for the peace, well, let's just say life is starting to get crazy. And though I have a project due on Friday in geography, a project in English due on Sunday, a test in anthropology on Wednesday, a paper due in history on Thursday, and a test in astronomy on Friday, I'm feeling weirdly chill. Everything is going to be okay. I'm going to make it. And as for the boy part of my crazy, that's getting better too. After extensive prayer and lots of journaling, I've come to realize that my heart is about a bajillion times more fragile than I think it is. And literally the only One who can protect it is Jesus. And once He's got it, I'm safe. The hard part is not trying to take it back, because I'm going to want to. I'm going to want to give it to guys who don't deserve it. Christ is the only one who has the right to give that part of my heart away. He alone determines who I fall in love with. Until then, the heart is the Lord's.

Peace, love, and Ben Rector.

1 comment: