Thursday, November 10, 2011

Wow, God is so ridiculous.

So for all you 86:12ers, I'm sure you fondly recall the prayer stations of New York this past summer. I was freaking out about it, so dreading that Thursday. However, I ended up absolutely loving that site (it was my favorite thing we did in New York that week) and really wanted to do it again. It was such an unbelievable experience and such a test of faith. It was answering a huge question: how bold are you for Christ? Of course that's completely out of people's comfort zones--I'm not at all discrediting those who totally disliked that site because y'all can bless others in ways that I can't. But I loved the empowerment that I felt in that through Christ, like He was really going before me and strengthening me. But then Thursday ended and that was that I thought. I got on the subway and headed back to Hoboken. I slipped back into being "normal" and not pursuing after people with a passion for the Lord, wanting to spread His love in the way that I knew I could. I thought that was my last time to ever randomly ask someone if I can pray for them and, honestly, I was okay with that.

Well, God obviously wasn't. Not even close.

I joined this organization at A&M called Aggie Sisters for Christ (ASC) and we have to do 3 outreach projects a semester. On Monday, one was put out there for going to Academic Plaza (center of campus) and asking people if there was anything we can pray for them about. And I was just thinking, "Oh my gosh. Is this really happening? God, you are RIDICULOUS." I was pumped and was the first one to sign up. Besides, I explained to the other girls who were doing it, after chasing after men in business suits for 4 hours in front of Madison Square Garden, this was going to be easy.

God just ignited this fire and I jumped in head first, bright and early Thursday morning. I was so happy to be doing this again and so thankful that He'd given me this opportunity. In New York, I never had any "cool" stories or anything. I talked to plenty of people, but no one was really intensely struggling--a lot of job interviews and family problems. But I honestly think that God gave me a generally positive and "easy" (as in, no one cussed me out or had any really heavy stuff) day in New York to prepare me for my day in Aggieland.

Early on in my two hour shift, I asked this woman, she was probably about 21 years old, if she had anything I could pray for her about. She quickly said, "No thanks" and rushed off. I kind of blew it off. I mean, she was nicer than how some of the people in NY had been, so I wasn't really fazed. I told her to have a great day and continued on with my morning. Then about 30 minutes later, she comes walking back in front of the Academic Building, headed straight at me. She then apologized and said that she was late to work and her boss had been texting her and she felt really bad about being short with me and that there was something pretty major in her life going on that needed prayer. One of her best friends, Jerri-Lynn has two children and is currently in an abusive relationship. The woman's mother (not Jerri-Lynn's) was helping her out but it was just a terrible situation. This woman started crying in the midst of telling me. It broke my heart but I was so thankful that God put me there to listen. The New York prayer station was my prep work for my A&M one.

It was such a surreal day and I so felt God at my side all day. I had great conversations and was thanked multiple times, but it was never me. God was just using me in such an incredible way and it was just awesome.

1 comment:

  1. Mm yes I love this!! Good for you Linley, what an incredible opportunity. Love how He works in ways we'd never except. Thanks for the encouragement!

    ReplyDelete