Wednesday, May 5, 2010

I'm kind of freaking out.

I have a number of things to panic about, but they have been handed over to God, so I no longer worry about them. But the things that I'm about to write about here aren't so much "I'm worried about college/future/school/life/etc" but rather, books. Call me a nerd. I'm okay with it.
You might think I'm obsessed (because I suppose I am...) with the Maximum Ride series by James Patterson. James Patterson is mostly a writer for adults, his 2 most popular series being The Women's Murder Club and Alex Cross. They're murder mystery books that also have some heated character drama. Not really my type. I prefer his books for teens, including the Maximum Ride series and his new Witch and Wizard series and Daniel X series. He writes a lot of series. Anyway, the latest MR book came out over spring break. It was sort of epic. I loved it and hated it. I couldn't look at it for about three days after finishing it. Yes, it made me cry. Profusely. So when I got home from spring break and checked my email, I saw that James Patterson had made his first officially sponsered writing contest. The task? Go to chapter 35 in the latest book. Notice how a small scene is missing between chapters 35 and 36. The job is to write that scene. Well you know I jumped at that. Talk about awesome! And the best part? The winner gets $2500 in college scholarship money AND their name and home state in the next Maximum Ride book. How cool would it be if my name was in my favorite book series? What if I (as a character) was in the same scene as the main guy character?! Swoon! That would be so amazing. But, alas, I don't get the results back until the last week of school, or around that time. The realistic part of me knows that I probably won't win. The imaginative and wishful side of me is praying that I do. But as I mailed it (after giving it a good luck kiss, of course) I told God that it was His now.
In other bookish news, Rick Riordan has a new series out. Rick Riordan is the author of one of my other favorite series. You probably have heard of it. Percy Jackson and the Olympians. Yeah, basically amazing series. So now, Riordan is starting this new series with Egyptian gods and goddesses, much like the Percy Jackson series. I'm practically giddy with the prospect of reading this new series. I just read the premise...it looks AMAZING. So now I'm going to go beg mother dearest for money to buy it. I'll keep y'all posted. YAY BOOKS!

No comments:

Post a Comment