Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Justin Bieber

I'm not on the bandwagon of crazy. I do not loathe him. I do not love him. I think he is very talented and has catchy music that you can sing to easily (best for nights with friends in the car with the windows rolled down).

But let me say this: I am slowly falling in love with Selena Gomez's man.

Before I saw the movie, the craze was in full swing and I thought it was extremely overrated. I didn't dislike him; I just was ready to stop hearing about Justin Bieber. Like I said, nothing against him at all. It was one of those things where I didn't like the principal of the obsession. I stopped liking the Twilight books so much when everyone went stark mad about them when the movie came out. Same kind of deal pre-Never Say Never.

After I saw the movie, I got an immense amount of respect for him. He is outrageously talented with a crazy clear voice. He's...normal. He has divorced parents. He still has his best friends from his "undiscovered" days. He doesn't have any weird piercings. He doesn't do drugs or drink (to my knowledge). He fights for a cause. He's relatable. He had humble beginnings. He's passionate about life.

Justin Bieber is refreshing, frankly. Of course, all of America is holding their breath for him to mess up and be seriously scrutinized. But from what I see in magazines and his movie, he isn't on the track for destruction. If he died, I wouldn't just say, "Oh, what a shame. Predictable, but a shame" like I did for Amy Winehouse. Unfortunately, our society is so used to screwed up public figures that when someone who is normal but has spectacular musical talent comes along, we either become obsessed with him or we turn away, wondering when he'll let us down too.

I'm not waiting for Biebs to mess up like I am with so many other celebrities. I'm waiting to see what else he's going to do and where else he's going to go.

No, I'm not in love with him. You won't see me pining for tickets to his next concert or going out or buying a bunch of his clothes or his new scent. But, sure, I'm a fan. Label me that. I'm good with it.

And, like Justin Bieber, I just need somebody to love.

No comments:

Post a Comment