Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Wisdom teeth post op

So it's the tail end of Tuesday after I went under the knife.

But let's start at the beginning of Monday, shall we?

I started crying on the way to the office because I was so dreading what was about to happen. Call it dramatic or unreasonable, but I was terrified. It was not my idea of a great end to the summer and the very thought of an IV putting me to sleep so they could make my life miserable for the next few days was not at all exciting.

I went into the office and they laid me down and took my blood pressure and hooked up some monitors to my chest and ribs. Then they gave me the relaxing gas and I was trying really hard to just chill out and breathe. The medicine helped, but I still really aware of what was about to happen. Then they put the IV in. I remember the prick and thinking "That wasn't bad" and then I was sound asleep.

When I woke up, apparently the nursed asked if I was seeing double (I wasn't...though I don't remember saying that). I vaguely remember stumbling out to the car and being in the passenger seat at Whataburger while my mom got me a shake. I was feeling my chin, or trying to, and being really goofy and then told my mom to stop laughing at me.

What was awful was that I knew what was going on when I got inside my house. I don't remember actually getting into my house, but I remember being really frustrated because I couldn't vocalized what I wanted because my mouth was all numb and gauzed up. I basically couldn't feel anything within the space below my eyes and above my neck. Slowly, the numbness went down throughout the day until I had total feeling and no gauze (it was a long process).

I slept a lot that day and ate a bunch of ice cream. I managed some mashed potatoes (I was starving) and then conked back out and stumbled upstairs to get in my own bed.

Today I was more mobil. I had some rice and ice cream and pudding. I started college packing and wrote a few thank you cards. I cleaned a little. Mostly, I watched TV and was on Facebook. I took a shower and brushed my teeth. It still hurts to smile and my face looks like a giant puffball (my left side more than my right though...we aren't sure why). Hopefully all the swelling will be gone by tomorrow. Food is becoming a little easier, but I felt my stitches today and kind of freaked out. Gross.

Basically, I'm ready for all this to be over. And it's only day two. Yuck. I can't even yawn without my jaw hurting. Now that's just pathetic.

No comments:

Post a Comment