Saturday, February 12, 2011

Day 17: Something I've been looking forward to

Well, there are several things I'm looking forward to. Prom, senior skip day, graduation, graduation parties, 86:12 mission trip to New York City, New Student Conference, Fish Camp, Impact, college, Parachute concert, the next day I get to sleep in...the list goes on and on and on. The possibilities to write about are endless.

But let's take step back from the chaos that is my life, shall we? Senior year can be put on pause for a moment. Let's be nerds.

I have an unhealthy addiction of fictional worlds. Why? Because they tend to be a lot more interesting and exciting than the bubble that I live in. But one of my favorite fictional dimension is the one of Maximum Ride. I know that I've ranted about this book series before (see "writing contest" for more information...sometime in March, June/July, and September is where you might find those) but it has been brought to my attention, by a very reliable source, that the series ends next year.

The Mayans were right: the world is ending in 2012.

And somehow I get the impression that that was James Patterson's plan the whole time. Clever man.

Basically, if you don't know the premise, there are these 6 kids who are 98% and 2% bird. That measly 2% plays a major part though. These kids have wings. They literally fly. The main character, Max, has been told that the saving of the world is on her (yes, Max is a girl) shoulders. The earth will experience a catastrophic something that will destroy the human race and it is Max's job to stop it. If she doesn't, in this world, the Mayans will be correct in their dire prediction.

In case I'm confusing you, I don't really think that the world is going to end in 2012--I'm just pointing out the irony.

Anyway, the second to last book is coming out on Monday (aka Valentine's Day) and part of me is amazingly excited for it and I know I'll stay up later than I should reading/finishing it. Don't judge me. I'm a book nerd. Anyway, I'm excited to continue the adventure, because it feels like forever since I cracked a book open just for pleasure. But, at the same time, the end of an epic journey is about to end right before my eyes.

I feel like these characters are some of my friends. I've been in their minds. I've watched them almost be killed countless times. I've watched them grow up. I've watched them save each other and fight and then save each other again.

The last book ended with a shock that left my stomach in knots for days. It was like a bad break up...everything reminded me of the book and I couldn't even look at it for days. It was ridiculous but that's just me. I'm character oriented and feel so empathetic towards characters. Even if the plot is awful, I still might like the book because of the characters. I'm just weird that way.

So that's what I'm looking forward to. A book that will probably make me cry.

Color me masochistic.

No comments:

Post a Comment