Saturday, April 16, 2011

Car surprises...both pleasant and unpleasant

My dad bought a 2004 red Nissan Maxima in the tail end of 2004. It was destined to be my car.

And so it was. I learned to drive in Max the Maxima. It was a great car with great gas mileage, great handling, and a great stereo system with a 6 CD holder. Easy to find in a parking lot because of it's redness and easy to gun it on the highway, I had an attachment to Max. I mean, how could I not? It was my first car and I will always remember it as such.

But this morning, my dad took to the dealership to get my seat fixed (because it wouldn't move forward or backward) and to change the light in my blinker because it had gone out. What we heard from the Nissan place, though, was that...

1. The frame was broken which cost about $1,800

2. To fix the seat and all that wiring was $1,700

3. Should I want to get my broken sunroof fixed, that would've been another $500.

The car, after 7 years, was now worth about $9,000ish. Did we want to pay slightly under half of that to keep the car? Not really. So we found a red 2008 Altima (which is a bit smaller than the Maxima but still in the same family) for a great deal.

I drove it off the lot after three hours of wandering around the dealership and watching my dad wheel and deal with the salesman. We got everything out of Max that we needed and put it all in my new car. No one was really anticipating us buying a car that day. I certainly wasn't. Neither of my parents were. But now we have a new car. Well, new/used car. New to me.

Not going to lie, I was a little weepy as I drove away with Max in my rearview mirror. In a weird, man-like way, I was attached to my first car in a way that I never knew I was. The person who buys that car used will love it. I will miss my little baby car.

But I am excited to drive my new Altima. His name is Alejandro. And Alejandro and I are looking for a good country station, so if you know of any, let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment