Sunday, January 9, 2011

All-nighters are NOT good ideas

I'm a leader for this thing in my community called Wyld Life. You might have heard of Young Life, which is a Christian, high school community that's not affiliated with any church. Wyld Life is the middle school version of Young Life. It's pretty awesome and I love being involved in the growth of these middle schoolers. I was made for middle schoolers. They're hilarious.

So every year, my community's chapter of Wyld Life partners up with about six other WLs around the metroplex and did a thing called "The Bus Tour", henceforth known as TBT. It would last from 10:00 on Saturday night to 7:15 on Sunday morning. There would be no sleeping and no coffee. It would be a crazy night full of fun.

I had to be at the student center at 9:00 but the kids wouldn't get there for another hour. I made a Sonic run and fueled up on caffeine before the night commenced. Our first stop was to a school about thirty minutes away where we took part in an all-city club. Club is basically worship time, games, and a talk. And there were about three hundred kids there. It was madness. After playing several games, singing some J-Biebs, and hearing a really cool talk, a couple WL groups left but the rest (still around two hundred kids) stayed and ate pizza. Taylor Swift was played and two of my friends who are leaders with me, Meredith and Emily, danced and belted out "You Belong With Me" and "Our Song". There were a total of eight tables serving the pizza, four on each side of the gym. Across the room, there were other WL doing the same thing we were. Wyld Life leaders are all of the same breed.

After the pizza party (which ended at 1:00), we went to this indoor soccer place. It was nuts. There were four fields that were like kiddie fields and there were bleachers that looked over the fields (there were nets, of course). It was funny to watch some of our guy leaders get sweaty and into the game. I didn't play and somehow ended up as the one who held all the coats. I felt like a mom. We hoped that it would make the kids tired but that didn't work. At around two, we left for Main Event.

Bowling, games for 3 1/2 hours, laser tag, and shenanigans ruled Main Event for more than three hours. I think we left at around 5:30. I didn't bowl at all (because I'm horrible at it) but I played some extreme laser tag (second best on my team, thank you very much) and beat Meredith at air hockey three times. I did that weird roller coaster simulator and a race thing that just bounced you around a lot and I almost fell asleep. I hit several walls and made it through all of them--somehow.

All this time, I was in a car with a couple of the other student leaders and not the bus. The bus was a little...chaotic, to say the least. Then some girls got lost but not really. They just got on the wrong bus, so we just took them to the last destination, which was a church of Christ in Flower Mound. It was now 6:15 in the morning. We ate donuts and then the leaders left for the student center to get the t-shirts situated and ready for the kids to be picked up.

I got home at 7:30 and was still feeling pretty awake, but I knew that if I laid down, I would fall asleep and not wake back up for a while. I took a shower, got ready for church, and stayed awake through Sunday school. But during the sermon I started to fall. Within fifteen minutes, I was almost falling off the pew because I was sleeping. So having my aunt on staff at church came in handy when I went into her office and quickly fell asleep.

After lunch (which I somehow managed to stay awake during), I went home, put on pajamas, took out my contacts, and climbed into bed where I slept for more than five hours. Though TBT was fun, I will never, ever try to pull an all-nighter again.

So, good night world. Value your sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment