Monday, January 24, 2011

Day 4: My parents

Ahh, parents. Gotta love 'em. So, without further adieu, here's my ode to Karen and Mike McCord:

My mom. She was an army brat growing up and therefore lived in several states and one other country (the Japanese island of Okinawa...or however you spell it). She's the third of four with a younger brother and an older brother and sister. She looks most like her younger brother (James) but acts more like her sister (Carol). And she occasionally burps like the last brother, John. But don't tell her I said that. She grew up Southern Baptist, so that's why the rest of my family is. Basically, what Mom says goes. And if she ain't happy, nobody is happy. Fact o' life. She's hilarious ("Mike, you don't put 2 pounds of lard down the garbage disposal!"), picky about clean rooms ("Linley, you had socks on your floor! No Facebook for the rest of the day."), an excellent cook ("I made spaghetti!"), a woman of the Lord ("I have a youth support team meeting today--those are so fun!"), and your typical mom ("I'm tired of cleaning up after everyone!!!!"). My dad and I make fun of her purely out of love because she gets annoyed with some of the simplest things (see "rewinding an annoying commercial over and over to see when she notices/gets mad" for more information). Yeah, we're a normal mother and daughter because we drive each other crazy. But we also love each other like crazy. Love you, Mam Mam.

My dad. Or, as I call him, "Tick" or "Pa". Long story that will be addressed in the upcoming "Nicknames" post. Don't worry about it for now. He is the oldest of three boys (Michael "Mike", Gregory "Greg", and Andrew "Andy") and all of them were the mascot at TCU. Family tradition that I will not be continuing. Sorry, boys. Anyway, my dad was actually born in Japan (some US air force base though) so he has dual citizenship, which is pretty cool. He lived in several places too, but went to high school in New Mexico and then moved to Texas when he started school at TCU. He told me that he worked at a ski shop only to talk to the cute girls who came in--my dad the player. He is now the family's errand man and money man and go-to man and "come fix my (insert whatever is broken here)" man. He can make pretty much anything grilled--and that's about the extent of his cooking abilities. Well, he can make cereal. But that's pretty much it. He's hilarious and my partner in crime when it comes to harassing my mom (see above paragraph). And we say "I love you" a little different. So, wuvins, Pa!

So yeah. Those are my parents. I wuv dem.

No comments:

Post a Comment