Sunday, January 23, 2011

Day 3: My First Love

I am SO glad that I'm getting this one out of the way. Why? Because I've never really had a "first love". So this post will be sufficiently awkward and full of ramblings about the fact that I've never really had my heart broken by any one guy. But I pledged to do this 30 day challenge and so I have to do this post.

My first (and only) boyfriend came around when I was in eighth grade. We'd been best friends since probably fourth grade and are really good friends now (thank goodness). And in eighth grade we affirmed that we liked each other and should therefore date. And we dated until we were early into our junior year of high school.

We were each other's best friends--we told each other everything. We didn't pull the other away from our other friends and were there for the other when we needed to be. We went slow and didn't kiss until we'd been dating for awhile (yes, our first kisses). We were tight. We still liked each other from eighth grade to summer before junior year.

Then things changed. It was gradual. I realized that he wasn't the guy for me. After nearly 3 years of dating, we hadn't told each other "I love you" because we'd never meant it. We had no regrets with each other because there wasn't anything to regret. I'm glad that he was my first kiss. But junior year, I just decided that, as much as it would hurt both of us, I had to end it.

It was quite possibly the hardest things I'd ever done. But I knew I had to for both of us. So gently and explaining it as well as I possibly could, I broke up with him (in person, I assure you). I tried to make no mistakes in the process (no texting, don't be vague, etc) but used the painfully cliche "I just want to be friends" and "It's not you--it's me" break-up lines. But I realized that they were overused for a reason--they're true more often than you think.
.
He wasn't my first love, but he's the closest thing that is. I love him like a brother but not as a husband. I'm proud to say that we're back to the point of being comfortable with talking to each other and do so often. He's a great guy and I know that God has an amazing girl for him. Just like God has the right guy for me.

So, I guess if I wanted to be a bit corny, I'd tell you that God is my only one and true first love. Because it's true. But I thought I'd give ya a little insight into the love life (as small as it may be...thank goodness) of Linley. Sorry for boring you to death if I did.

Girls, guys will break your heart. It broke mine to hurt the guy I dated for so long. And I've had my share of drama as pertaining to boys, I assure you. But let me promise you this: God's got one for you. So don't chase boys. It's a waste of time. How about this? You run and see who chases you.

Guys, girls will break your heart. It's a fact. But I'm not a dude so I can't give you any sage words of wisdom to give you hope, other than the fact that God's got your girl. All you have to do is listen up and put on your running shoes.

Go.

No comments:

Post a Comment