Friday, January 28, 2011

Day 8: Places I've traveled to

For only being nineteen years old, I'm fairly well traveled. I've been to four of the seven continents (only briefly for one, though...) and have been immersed in several of these place's cultures. Traveling has always been an eye-opening experience and something that I definitely want to keep doing throughout my life. So here are noteworthy places I've been to...

States:
1. Alabama--I was born there (Birmingham, baby!) and have also been to Gulf Shores on vacation
2. Arkansas--My cousins live in Fayetteville
3. Colorado--Skiing (me...skiing...yeah) and also for a family camp!
4. Florida--Disney World when I was young and dorky and then in Miami briefly for a layover
5. Georgia--Mission trip 2010 :)
6. Idaho--Stayed in this tiny town (Driggs) for a hiking/adventure vacation
7. Louisiana--Passed through many times and went on mission trip there for a week (hello New Orleans!)
8. Missouri--Silver Dollar City anyone?
9. Montana--Same trip as the Idaho one. All those states are beautiful
10. New Mexico--White Sands National Park on my first mission trip. Those dunes are unreal.
11. New York--The Big Apple with my mom and dad. See you soon, NYC, because 86:12 is about to take you by storm!
12. Oklahoma--I was interested in OSU and my cousins used to live there. I've also had many a campout there too.
13. Tennessee--Lived in Franklin for about a year. It's the first house I really remember.
14. TEXAS--I have spent 17 years of my life in this state and wouldn't want it any other way.
15. Virginia--My cousins lived here! Hello, Richmond!
16. Wyoming--This was on the same trip as Montana and Idaho.

Sixteen states out of fifty? Huh. Not doing so well on the continental front. My goal is to make it to all of them someday. How awesome would Alaska be?!

Countries (in order of arrival):
1. Peru. I went on a mission trip when I was twelve...so seven years ago. That's crazy to think about because I still remember everything with perfect clarity. I stayed in Lima and Arequipa and both cities are incredible. That was my first mission trip ever--and what a great one it was. If I ever got the chance, I would absolutely go back.

2. Mexico. Okay, so I want to Cozumel. It's extremely touristy and I stayed in an all-inclusive hotel. But it's Mexico! The water was beautiful and I fed biscuits to fish who ate right out of my hands. It was an amazing, fun-filled trip with half of my mom's side of the family. I think my grandmother put down 20 Coke floats in the 5 days we were there.

3. Dominican Republic. It shares an island with Haiti but it isn't nearly as poverty stricken. The area is beautiful and very European. Some stay there for two weeks--and I thought five days was a lot. The DR is one of the happiest countries on earth, which I thought was pretty awesome. You would see these guys soaked in sweat and working on the side of the road waving at you with these huge smiles. It was an awesome vacation.

4. England. Okay, so this is kind of a half-truth. I was only in Heathrow for six hours and saw none of the city besides what I could see out of my window flying in. But I've been there so I guess I'll count it.

5. Kenya. As in Africa. Never have I been more scared or more in awe of God than in Kenya. It's alive in every aspect of the word, from the people to the animals to the landscape to the cities. Kenya is a truly amazing country and I will never forget that trip and I hope to make it back in the future.

So yes. That's a brief summary of my travels.

No comments:

Post a Comment