Saturday, January 22, 2011

Day 2: The Reason Behind the Name

Okay, so this post is supposed to be about why I named my blog what I did, "in God's hands". But I kind of think that you need an explanation as to what my real name--Linley--is. Most people ask, so I feel like I should save you the breath (assuming you're that interested in my life...which is a long shot) and just tell you now. So here are the reasons for the blog name and my name.

Linley. L-I-N-L-E-Y. Most people spell it with a "d" in there, making it Lindley. Apparently, people know others with that name, according to my mom. I've never heard of anyone, though. Anyway, my name is a combination of my aunt's middle name (Lynn) and my mom's middle name (Lee). Obviously, my name isn't spelled Lynnlee. My mom did want my name spelled Lynlee, but my dad decided that it wasn't "logical" or whatever. But, when I'm a published author, look for Lynlee...because you're not going to find Linley. I assure you. As immature as this may sound, I want the sort-of pseudonym of Lynlee. Don't laugh. I think it's kind of artsy. But that's just my opinion, of course. So yes. That's the story of my real name.

As for the blog name, I went pretty personal. I can't remember where I heard this--maybe a sermon?--but someone was talking about how we're all God's kiddos. His holding us all tightly in His strong, sure hands and we have nothing to be afraid of. We were made to be held by Him. That was the inspiration for the blog name. I just love the concept that I am held so tightly and so snugly in the hands of the savior of the world. It's so comforting. So I wanted to exemplify that in my blog and let it be an overriding theme.

I used to sing this song when I was in preschool. It went like this: "He's got the whole world in His hands/He's got the whole world in His hands/He's got the whole world in His hands/and He's holding on tight to me" or something like that. Then it goes on to talk about all the people God has--but I forgot how that part goes. Oops. Anyway, the truth that I sang in preschool still applies to my life as a 19 year old.

Yep. There ya have it.

No comments:

Post a Comment