Friday, May 6, 2011

BEM Day 5. Whatcha think?

So I've been jamming on this novel I've been writing lately and want to show you, reader, some of it. You should feel special. Here's the premise:

6 kids are pronounced dead but secretly alive and hidden in a lab in NYC. They're given super abilities. Now they have escaped from the lab but need to get back at the man who hurt them. One of them is a mole for the man. One is bent on destruction of the man regardless of circumstances. One is emotionally scarred and fragile. All are lost, confused, and legally dead. So here's an excerpt:

The two looked like a duck had just explained calculus to them. And, in their bewilderment, I sent this huge machine—I have no idea what it’s called or what it does—flying at them from across the room. They went down fast and hard. I was rather impressed with myself, actually. I’d been emotionally and physically drained and I could still do that with no problem. Amazing.
                  I yanked the IV from my arm, wincing, and cradled my broken arm next to my chest as I leapt up from the bed. Marcy’s face was bleeding badly and she was knocked out. Peter Taylor was trapped under the machine, unable to push it off of him. He was yelling for help but I, mercilessly, kicked him in the side of his head. I felt bad for a split second. Then I looked at my arm. Regret over.
                  As I entered the hallway, I heard more yelling by some familiar voices. One of the linebackers who frequently held me down was writhing on the floor in invisible pain.
                  “Where is Carter?” someone growled in an ominously dark voice.
                  “Don’t…know…didn’t…tell us…STOP!” screamed the linebacker, his voice breaking.
                  I tried to run, but my body still ached, so an awkward jog had to suffice.
                  And there he was. Tyler’s normally calm face was the picture of anger and revenge. He looked almost murderous.
                  “Ty?” I asked hesitantly.
                  His fierce expression broke when he saw me standing with a cast on my arm and shorts and a t-shirt. The linebacker relaxed, panting and dry heaving.
                  “Carter? Carter! Oh man. You’re here. You’re not dead. Guys! Hey, everyone, I found her!” Tyler yelled behind him.
                  Drew, Ella, Holly, and Grayson came running around the corner, Drew absently kicking some obscure nurse I’d never seen before to the side. They grabbed me in a hug and I winced, my arm being smashed, but I didn’t really care. They were here. They were here to save me. We were back together after nearly a month of sheer hell.


So that's that. Sparked your interest? I won't be offended if you say no. Okay, maybe a little. Yep. 

Yes, this is me cheating on the blogging every day thing. Shhhh, don't tell the blog police. 

Also, Carter is a girl. Not a guy. 


I am...

Listening to: "When A Heart Breaks" by Ben Rector
Looking forward to: All my graduation parties tomorrow. I think I have 4...
Procrastinating: Sleeping. I took a 2 hour nap earlier today
Thinking about: My grades. I really don't want to take any finals...I don't think I'll have to. That's a "Linley-getting-good-grades" win
Wondering: When I'm going to get more than 8 hours of sleep in a night...
Reflecting over: The words of this song. I'm pretty sure you need Jesus all the time, Ben. 

No comments:

Post a Comment